IGN has confirmed that Ubisoft has quietly prepared a day-one patch for Assassin’s Creed Shadows that introduces several significant changes, including modifications to temples and shrines. Ubisoft provided IGN with the patch notes for this update, which were not included in any public announcement.
Assassin’s Creed Shadows day-one patch notes:
---------------------------------------------This update brings various improvements and fixes, including:
The headline change involves tables and racks in temples and shrines, which are now indestructible in the Feudal Japan-set game. Ubisoft told IGN that the day-one patch is for all players and not Japan-specific, but it’s hard to see this change as anything other than a response to the controversy surrounding the game in Japan.
Yesterday, March 19, Shigeru Ishiba, the Prime Minister of Japan, responded to a question about Assassin’s Creed Shadows during an official government conference meeting. The question was posed by Japanese politician and member of the House of Councillors of Japan, Hiroyuki Kada, who is campaigning for re-election this summer. Kada expressed concerns, stating:
“I fear that allowing players to attack and destroy real-world locations in the game without permission could encourage similar behavior in real life. Shrine officials and local residents are also worried about this. Of course, freedom of expression must be respected, but acts that demean local cultures should be avoided.”
Prime Minister Ishiba responded:
“How to address this legally is something we need to discuss with the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Defacing a shrine is out of the question - it is an insult to the nation itself. When the Self-Defense Forces were deployed to Samawah, Iraq, we ensured they studied Islamic customs beforehand. Respecting the culture and religion of a country is fundamental, and we must make it clear that we will not simply accept acts that disregard them.”
25 Images
The shrine being “defaced” in pre-release Assassin's Creed Shadows gameplay videos is Itatehyozu Shrine in Himeji, Hyogo Prefecture, which falls within Kada’s constituency. Kada mentioned that he had consulted with representatives of the shrine, who confirmed that Ubisoft did not seek their permission to show the shrine and use its name in the game.
While Masaki Ogushi (Vice Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry) responded that government agencies will work together to handle matters “if the shrine seeks consultation,” in a work of artistic expression, Ubisoft would likely be clear legally to use the shrine under the Constitution of Japan. Responses from both ministers were vague and seem unlikely to result in any specific action, especially as Ubisoft appears to have addressed these concerns proactively with this day-one patch.
The patch does not appear to be live in-game yet, based on IGN’s tests.
Irrespective of the game’s success or otherwise in Japan, there is enormous pressure on Assassin's Creed Shadows to perform well for Ubisoft globally after a number of delays and the sales failure of last year’s Star Wars Outlaws. Ubisoft has faced several high-profile flops, layoffs, studio closures, and game cancellations leading up to Assassin's Creed Shadows' release.
IGN’s Assassin’s Creed Shadows review returned an 8/10. We said: “By sharpening the edges of its existing systems, Assassin’s Creed Shadows creates one of the best versions of the open-world style it’s been honing for the last decade.”